Accepted Noc's Senior EM Application

Discussion in 'Resolved Applications' started by Noceur, Jun 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Noceur

Noceur Senior Event Master
    Senior Event Master Moderator

Basic Details:

Steam Profile: https://steamcommunity.com/id/crimsonn12/

Steam ID: Catastrophic

In game alias: 8845 Catastrophy/Jedi Astec Caius

Estimated hours on the server: Roughly 1,200+ across multiple names.

Estimated time as Event Staff: The majority of my time on the server has been as Event Staff.

Questions:

Why do you want to be Senior Event Staff? Primarily, I feel that my skillset is better suited for a senior staff role. I strive to help my fellow EMs in any way I can, consistently checking in on their events, allowing them to realise they have someone ready to assist where needed. I’m passionate about creating solid storylines, and quality events for the players to the point where it seeps over to the staffing side of Events. I want to be Senior Event staff to better put my capabilities, both stress endurance and otherwise, to good use as I feel that as a regular Event Master, I’m not quite utilizing that to its fullest extent.

Do you feel you have the capabilities to ensure the organisation and consistency of the event team? I like to believe I exhibit leadership qualities albeit with flaws. I constantly go out of my way to assist and talk to the EM staff, communicating and making sure we’re all on the same page-- and with the current state of the EM team, I believe that my input as a possible Senior Event Staff will benefit in many ways including that of communication and smooth sailing within the team.

What skills do you have that will assist you in this position? Communication. Confidence in my field. Knowledge and the ability to tutor on creating large scale duplications for events. Tips and general knowledge on event running, including such tips that can easily assist any new Event Staff that may surface. I like to believe myself fair and reasonable, both traits that can assist me in this field.

What do you currently feel to be the biggest issues with your own events? The lack of direction, ‘specially in my improv events. There have been multiple times where players haven’t quite known where to go, or what’s happening; and that’s of my own fault. I have been combatting this by trying my hand at more “off the bat” events, and testing my improvising skills and adapting and communicating with the playerbase as they take part in my events. Another flaw and issue that I have, is that I tend to base a few of my events around the assumption that Admin+ users will be around and willing to help; this is a flaw in of itself as it has backfired on me and given me an increased workload within my events-- something I again, need to work on.

What sets your events apart from that of the other event staff? I like to think of myself as “the PassiveRP EM”. Where the other EMs specialize in different areas, my speciality is roleplay, and the storylines surrounding said roleplay. I like to believe I can create in-depth roleplay that carries on long after the event has finished, and I feel that a lot of the players genuinely enjoy this.

Situations:

1. You book the first event slot and, upon completing it, you notice that no other event staff have booked the other slots. Explain how you would handle this. It’s no big deal, as I myself know that we cannot always be 100% certain of our schedules in real life. How I will handle this, however, is take the first slot, and then proceed to check if there are any other of the EM staff online, whether it be on Teamspeak or Steam, and message them about it asking if they’re going to be able to take a slot today. Some simply forget, and are more than willing to take a slot if need be. However despite the fact that the minimum is 3 a week, the EMs cannot simply slack entire days as they have a staff role to fulfill. If they’re unable to take the slot, and I’m the only active EM on the day, it cannot be helped and is the unfortunate necessity of being Event Staff. Although if this becomes a repeat offense, and EMs begin severely slacking on taking slots to the point where Backup staff are required to take the slots-- it will become subject to EM meeting and a stern talking to.

2. A new event staff begins booking slots, you notice that they do not change the colour of their slots and forget to list down the maps they use. How would you resolve this? The question answers itself, they’re new. If they aren’t currently preoccupied, I will bring them up about it and simply say “Hey look, it’s good to see you’re booking events, but you need to change the slot colour to green. Do you know how to do this?”

If the answer is yes, I’ll inform them that they’re required to do this to ensure communication within the schedule is clear, and make sure they fix their mistakes. They haven’t done anything wrong, they’re simply new.

If the answer is no, I’ll show them how to do it via screenshot tools if need be, and let them know that if they’re unsure of anything else, that they can come to me. Despite this, I’ll ensure the mistake doesn’t happen again through proper tutoring and showing them how it’s done.

3. You notice that a specific regiment on the server has been ignoring all orders you give during an event for about a week or so, what do you do? This doesn’t need to be a big thing, and can be easily isolated. If it has become as big of an issue as the question states, a simple talk with the Commanding Officer of said regiment, whether it be in-character or in-private, through Steam or Teamspeak, could solve it. The Commanding Officer isn’t 100% responsible for their troopers actions, however they do influence them-- this is what I’ll count on.

On the off chance that the CO themselves don’t listen, and continues to take part in refusing to listen to the orders of the Event Master; perhaps they need incentive to listen. A few explosions near their squads when they refuse to pull back, a few NPCs spawned on them forcing them to die and respawn where the rest of the players whom followed orders are. As an Event Master, it isn’t our duty to completely dictate how players roleplay, or take orders; but we can influence decisions subtly and easily with the tools at our disposal. There doesn’t need to be a big issue, and if a big issue comes of this, then it will be forwarded onto a Moderator with myself, as Senior staff, on standby if the Moderator requires my input.

4. Two Event Staff are having a heated argument about a slot that one of the EMs allegedly stole after it was already booked by the other, both of them contact you complaining about the situation. How would you handle this? First, I’ll isolate the two; tell them both to calm down separately. They’re on the same staff team, they’re both Event Masters. It’s bad for the team to have this kind of friction. I’ll hear both their stories, and as I was not there, I’ll mediate between the two and make sure I have the full picture before acting. Depending on the verdict, I may ask the two EMs if they have a moment to join a Teamspeak channel privately with me, and remain quiet and let me explain myself. I will proceed to tell them both that as EMs, they should avoid clashing with eachother like this. It is realised that it may be frustrating that one might’ve taken the slot of the other, and if this is true they will be dealt with-- but I will consistently explain to them that as EMs, they are here to work together, and need to sort out their differences and work together if they wish to put out the quality of events that are expected of them.

If they are unable to agree with eachother and arrive at a compromise, I myself shall take the event slot and discuss it further afterwards, as an issue like that shouldn’t remain.

Tasks:

1. Outline the process of training you would provide to a new event staff who has just been accepted into the position.

• I would first go over binds required for an EM, and ensure they have all the basic ones. This would include “ulx administrate/unadministrate”, “ulx cleardecals; ulx clearragdolls”, “ulx menu”, “ulx give/hp/strip/etc”, and proceed to assist them in practice of them and that they know each and every function.

• After which, I’d proceed to shift attention to the Event Schedule, telling them all that there is to know about it.

• After the Event Schedule, I would proceed to tell them how it works, and show it through talking them through event booking, letting them spectate how it’s done.

• Depending on what the HEM has laid out in terms of Trial EM/Junior EM event hosting, I would follow said guidelines and take the newbie along the path, making sure to always follow up and ensure that the new EM knows they’re able to come to me for anything concerning their introduction to the team.

• The first experience within events, I’d host the event with them assisting where possible; to which I’d assign basic tasks such as “Move those MTTs up” or “spawn droids”, and depending on how they do, possibly move onto more difficult tasks later on in the event.

• 30 minutes to an hour prior to the new EMs first personal event, I will take them to the bottom of the map and give them all basic dupes I’m able to, alongside working them through the more ‘event related’ abilities that AdvDupe2 has if they aren’t familiar-- possibly even encouraging them to create their own dupes when they have the time as I’ve seen many new EMs that don’t have the dupes that may be required for say, an improv event to quickly set up.

• I would also take the time whilst dupes are being sorted, to discuss what kind of event they’re thinking of hosting, to which I’d share my thoughts and opinions, and possibly give my criticism about it and generally make sure they know what they’re doing.

• Whilst they host the event, I will be in a Teamspeak channel with them, talking them through it and proceeding to follow through with a method of testing the EMs stress levels depending.

• After the event, I’ll let them do debrief and talk to them about what they did right, what they could’ve done better and generally give a bit of constructive criticism and praise if deserved.

• After which, I would go to the typical communicate with the HEM and describe how the newbie went on, and go from there.

2. Briefly design a potential event staff challenge that you feel would be beneficial for the event staff to complete, explain why you believe so.

I would challenge them with a simple challenge. Make an event with your own supermassive dupe that the players will not exit from, whether it be on flatgrass, bluehills or otherwise, and allow them to showcase their building talents. I would say they are allowed to ask other EMs for assistance if required, and simply allow themselves to express their creativity. Instead of using a map, they use a dupe. This will test them on their knowledge of how heavy constraints can make lag, the amount of NPCs vs props can be spawned in a map at once without the server pooping itself, which maps will suit best for a large scale dupe, and generally just give players a different feel among all else. I feel this will benefit the EM team in such a way that if they are not good at this sort of thing, it will be new territory and something to expand their talent on, it would allow them to communicate with the rest of the EM team, have reason to ask for help, and generally just change things up and hopefully give them a new light on event hosting. I personally feel that this would work, as the first time I attempted a flatgrass event, I ended up doing more and more after building confidence in my building and EM skills easily.

3. Plan out an idea for an entire campaign, use as much detail as possible.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PbTYHGpsL0SBjzCKLdmn3Ma3hnJYtLBQcsYMfcMWikc/edit

#1 Noceur, Jun 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  2. Magnus

Magnus Forum Staff
    Forum Moderator Donator

Previously been SEM, did epic things
    EM now, does epic things

Smart, dedicated boy who as long as he doesn't leave again I don't see a point in not having him as SEM.

+1

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Spooks

Spooks Community Manager
    Community Manager

I know I don't play many events so its hard for me to tell you how well Noc does, however, I was a lot more active in his previous stint as SEM AND I try to keep contact with the staff and see how they are going. When I've spoken to Noc he's been eagerly looking to improve himself at all points, and any time i've given advice, feedback or any other form of opinion he has been understanding of my perspective and willing to make improvements.

To me, putting someone like this into the position of Senior EM can only help to teach other EMs these same traits that have helped Noc once more flourish in the position.

Although I was hesitant to have you back, you have my support here. +1.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. AvaryAce

AvaryAce Active Member
    Donator

Ay its this guy, Noc is well, in my opinion the best EM when it comes to roleplay both in and out of events, constantly pushing RP, which to be fair we are lacking allot of for a RP server if it wasn't for the fact we are on Gmod, The fact that he not only dose RP with players but encourages players to do RP with others in their own time amazes me to this day as one of the few EMs Ive seen being able to pull off not only organic roleplay but encourage it throughout the player base. Not to mention everything else he has done over his time back.

+1

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Noceur

I'm flattered to hear this kind of feedback. Thank you both.

and thanks for your honesty @Spooks :p

6. Hsabirot

Hsabirot Junior Event Master
    Junior Event Master Donator

+1

Not much to say except I'm happy you're finally applying for this. Your events are extremely well structured and contain amazing story lines.

Nuff said

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. [GG]Shark

[GG]Shark Member

Please provide feedback or else your +1 will be made redundant.

#7 [GG]Shark, Jun 14, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2018
  8. Morpheus

Morpheus Active Member
    Donator

Please provide feedback or else your +1 will be made redundant.

*Edit* I had feedback on there but ok but I love Nocs work as he uses original stuff from what I've seen in my short time back so +1 as I think he shows that he is basically an SEM already with his guidance and wisdom

#8 Morpheus, Jun 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. NiceGary

NiceGary Event Master
    Event Master

+1 I always wanted you to join me in the Senior Event Staff and I'm now extremely happy you've applied. Not because I want less work but more the fact that you are a great EM and deserve it, you have all the capabilities and experience to carry out task given to a senior.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. s8ncaat

s8ncaat Chief of Staff
    Chief of Staff Donator

+1

• YEET YEET x 1
  11. Aussi

Aussi Forum Staff
    Forum Moderator Head Event Master Donator

from telling me everyday about his dupes or something that could improve events already shows me he isn't some half baked droid spawning minge @Trigga @Ender but seriously I have good respect for this guy and with Gary going SEM i think the two of them combined can make the Event team better then it was/has been before.

With that all being said I support this fully. +1

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Noceur

This means a lot coming from you, Aussie. Thank you.

13. Omega

Omega Well-Known Member
    Donator Map Developer

+1 Noc knows his shit. Although my opinion is kinda icky :p

• YEET YEET x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Noceur

And here we see, the wild, very rare Omega...
    love ya

15. Lupus

Lupus Head Admin
    Head Admin

+1

Noc Did an amazing job his first time around as SEM but the situation wasn't ideal in the slightest. Noc left and said his goodbyes but a few short months later he returned with the same drive he started with and ended up straight back in the EM team. He has been mature and done an exceptional job since his return, He has my all time respect and deserves a chance again to show us what he is made of.

Nocs events are like any EMs, They have there Great, good and eh sides but he continues to better himself and improve on the last event. Some may say his events are to prop heavy but let me ask you, Did you enjoy the event tho?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. Cuffs

Cuffs Well-Known Member
    Donator Map Developer

Neutral, In your own words "Its my way or the highway"

Why should we let anyone who wants to be a leader, lead like this?

And no, I didn't enjoy the event, because it is a lag shit hole that takes 18.4 seconds just for the reload of my gun to register and my "/comms" Appear in chat 5 seconds after iv hit Enter and sent the message.

#16 Cuffs, Jun 18, 2018 at 1:25 AM
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2018 at 1:43 AM
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. AvaryAce

AvaryAce Active Member
    Donator

Butting back into this thread to just say I have NEVER had this problem, I can FLY fullspeed with NO lag problems, sounds like a overmodded Gmod or under-optimized PC but just a personal opinion there, but this dosnt seem like a common problem.

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. Cuffs

Cuffs Well-Known Member
    Donator Map Developer

Reloading and Chat are handled server side, my Over modded Gmod that contains only Gateways Addons is not the issue, its the fact that the server has to send physics information for every prop to 60 people every millisecond(Which includes information about rotation, velocity, position, prediction calculations, shadows, lighting, coordinates) so that everyone sees the exact same thing in terms of props moving about, hence why prop heavy events generally aren't fun because a lot of calculations have to be made by the server. I know this because i'v worked within the source engine for 5 years now, so don't challenge me when I state that Noc's prop heavy events arnt fun according to my definition of fun, If your into laggy shit holes, that's your thing.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. Aussi

Aussi Forum Staff
    Forum Moderator Head Event Master Donator

Accepted

• Like Like x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.