Herd's Moderator application...again

Discussion in 'Moderator Applications' started by AnnoyingTaco (Herd), May 16, 2018.

1. AnnoyingTaco (Herd)

AnnoyingTaco (Herd) Active Member
    Donator

Clone Wars Moderator Application

Checklist:

Do you use Teamspeak and are you willing to get on it more?

Yup, on it rather consistently and will always jump on when needed

Do you enjoy helping other people?

It's often why I go for staff positions in communities, and was indeed a factor in my original application

Are you willing to test your stress?

As I post this, I have approximately 7000 words in assignments due in less than two weeks that I haven't even started....so yes.

Do you have over 20 hours? If so, list your hours.

Approximately 660 hours

Are you willing to learn new ways to approach situations?

Always willing to, especially when having to adapt to how others work in team situations

Do you have a problem with any of our current staff members?

No outlying issues, and any previous discrepancies I have no cares for

Requirements:

Steam ID:

STEAM_1:1:75171688

Steam Profile Link:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/maothedong

Current in game alias:

ARC Sergeant Alpha-44 "Kiev"
    2nd Lieutenant 2555 "Herd"

How known are you on a scale of 1-10 (10 being everyone knows you):

Honestly still don't know this after this long, though I would assume around the 8/9 mark

How will you becoming a moderator impact on the community?

Without wanting to sound like this is built upon an ego, I'm good at being staff. My previous experience as an admin can attest to that fact, and as I will always state, I am not afraid to call someone out on something, whether it be a new trooper to the server, or one of the executive staff.

Do you use our Teamspeak server often?

Aye, pretty much the main TS I idle on when at my computer

Situations:

1. A user is RDMing and Insulting other users. You are the only staff available to deal with the situation. What do you do?

This situation, whilst often ending all in very similar ways, is probably best solved with pulling said offender to the side, and attempting to gain an explanation from the player. Should the explanation prove to be adequate and truthful, a warning is likely to be handed out, in an attempt to deter any future aggression. Should the offender continue with the toxic behaviour, and again, based on the severity, either the player in question will receive a kick ( !kick [player name] [reason for action taken] ) to briefly remove them from the server, or a short cooldown ban ( !ban [player name] 120 [reason for action taken] ) of a few hours. As an added precaution to provide evidence, it would also be preferential to take a screenshot of the logs providing the reasons as to why the player was removed/warned for his/her actions.

2. A group of users have confronted you and explain how another user was breaking some server rules earlier (RDMing and Climb Swep abusing). The users threaten that they want immediate action otherwise they will leave the server. What do you do?

First, it would be best to calm the group so that none of them feel disillusioned with what is happening. With more than one user providing similar claims, it provides enough of a warrant to investigate. In calming the players, the best course of action would be to assure them that the situation will be handled. To the offending player in question, the best way to investigate would be to watch them closely for any such actions that could be considered breaking server rules (possibly whilst cloaked (!cloak), should it apply in this situation). Should the player indeed be noticed to be breaking rules, then punishment is to be handed out in accordance to the severity of the rule broken. A verbal, and possible official warning, is the first action taken against the offender. Should the rules continue to be broken by the same player, then more severe consequences such as a kick ( !kick [player name] [reason for action taken] ), and ban ( !ban [player name] 120 [reason for action taken] ) are to be handed out accurate to the situation.

3. A user has threatened to Ddos and take down the server. What do you do?

Truthfully, the only real way to deal with a legitimate DDoS threat is to take it up with a higher admin and inform them of the situation as concisely as possible. In regards to the user making the threat, the best way to deal with them is to pull them to the side ( preferably through !bring [player name] ) and attempt to speak to them one-on-one, as straight-out punishment is likely to aggravate things to levels of conflict. If able to talk to the user in question, then the best things to ask would be why the user feels the need to act in such a way, followed by inquiring as to what they hoped it would achieve, knowing that the act of DDoSing can be severe on the assailant's own connection.

4. A Commander and Lieutenant are arguing in front of debrief. It is getting quite heated. The context to the argument is unknown to you. What do you do?

One possible way of dealing with this situation is attempting to interject between the two parties, telling both that it is not the time, nor the place, for them to have their spat. Encourage them to speak privately if they want to continue further on the matter.
    One issue with this however, is that it can add to the possible noise pollution that will no doubt be evident in the situation. An alternate, and more affirmative response would be to forcibly move the two parties off to a secluded section ( !bring [player name] ), to inform them as said above, that their argument should only proceed in a private environment, and not in front of the rest of the server.

We're Moderators, not Mediators.

5. A CR has been complaining and wondering around because he hasn't been trained yet. He seems like a minge to you and you're not sure if he is really here to play. What do you do?

Whilst the suspicion of the player being a minge may possibly be evident, it is not a valid response to ignore a CR on the assumption that they are there to cause trouble. It would be best to try and get the CR back towards the starting area, and attempting to speak to him in a calm and concise manner. If the CR proves to be responsive after talking to him/her, then proceed to look for a trainer to help them properly join the server and understand how everything works. However, if the minge-like behaviour continues, despite showing some signs of cooperation, it would be best to keep an eye on the CR, even through his training.

-----------------

As a short post note, I want to address that it really wasn't all that long ago that I was staff. The reason I dropped it was because I felt like I was being overloaded with shit that I kept feeling like I was forced to get on the server, which was largely due to being a Commander at the time. Though I've found fresh legs recently with ARC and thought that I'd be willing to give staff a crack again, should the community approve :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Remi

Remi Moderator
    Moderator Donator

Why are you even posting this when you know they'll take you back anyway because you're actually a great staff member and didn't really need to leave in the first place? Nonetheless I'll just say this, it'd be stupid to not take back Herd. Magnificent guy and I respect him more than most. +1 on my part

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. Omo

Omo Event Master
    Event Master Donator Map Developer

+1 - For the future, you're a good guy I'd just like to see some activity picked up and some more interaction with players outside of ARC and some of the newer players in order for you to leave the impression that I know you can leave.

Mod apps are currently closed, so you might be waiting a while, however.

Everyone else let us not spam the fact that Moderator applications are closed on this mans application because he knows now and its just unnecessary typing.

Good luck with you're application Herd.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  4. Amity

Amity Senior Admin
    Senior Admin

Neutral leaning towards a -1

You were decent as a staff member but I feel you can be highly opinionated at times over small subjects and this can cause tension with parties involved and your attitude can be very hard headed.

You did tickets well and dealt with situations as any standard admin should do / be doing.

#4 Amity, May 16, 2018
    Last edited: May 17, 2018
  5. AnnoyingTaco (Herd)

AnnoyingTaco (Herd) Active Member
    Donator

Obviously I don't want to flood this with responses to people, but I do want to address this. I will never shy away from the fact that I hold strong opinions in things, however I would argue this is what makes me a good staff member. Holding opinions and willing to have a different view of something is how an impartial official is meant to work, otherwise, a team becomes complacent and static.

Cheers for the responses though lads~

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. SimpleStuff

SimpleStuff Active Member
    Donator

Huge +1 Honestly, Herd is one of the most mature players on the server. He was staff before and did a damn good job at that. Good Luck

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. NiceGary

NiceGary Event Master
    Event Master

+1 We all know you are a very competent staff member and it'd be great to have you back, But please do stay around this time :)

8. Stooge

Stooge Community Director
    Community Director

Alright, considering my last post was deleted as I shit posted apparently. *COUGH*
    I'll post my thoughts on this application considering you were once staff and it might help enlighten people on whomst've you are.

He was once one of our best and active staff members, I tried to convince him to not leave but he had his reasons to leave. As you are all aware I believe in second chances. I'm giving him a +1 for moderator and express to you all to +1 him as well to express this application.

• Agree Agree x 2