Accepted [Forum Staff Application] Otis

Discussion in 'Forum Staff Applications Resolved' started by Otis, Jan 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Otis

Otis Forum Staff
    Forum Moderator Event Master Donator

Side Note: A few might know that I made a forum staff application a few months ago in which I withdrew in a couple of days as I then realized it was alot. Even though I withdrew it, I am still interested in the position and always have been for a long time. With apps open again, I figured to re-apply once more to help moderate the forums as I originally intended and become the ultimate Gateway Gamer.

Basic Info:

1. Most Common Alias: Otis

2. Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:54606938

3. Age (Optional): 16

4. Time zone: Sydeny AEDT

5. What time are you on the forums most often: I'm on the forums throughout the entire day, though I'd say my peak hour would be at night.

6. Have you ever received a verbal or recorded warning on the forums: Not to my knowledge no, a few of my posts have been deleted but they weren't for outstandingly bad behavior.

7. Do you have any previous experience with XenForo Forum Software: Negative, like stated in my previous app, I have messed around with the demo and figured out how locking and moving threads works but I have alot more to learn.

8. Do you have any previous experience as a forum staff ( If so explain in detail ) I have not.

9. How much time do you spend on the forums daily: Hard to say, rough estimate would be 4-5 hours considering I usually have the forums open whilst I'm tabbed out doing other things. I do check it occasionally.

10. How regularly do you use the Gateway TeamSpeak: I am always on the Teamspeak, either in a channel by myself or others and am easily contactable through Teamspeak.

11. Why do you want to be a Forum Staff of Gateway Gaming: Quite simply I want best for this community, I want to repay it for all the joy it has given me. Like I stated in my side note, I've always been interested in the forum staff for a long time and when I saw Shenpai's post that apps are open once more, I decided to make this application as I feel I am capable of the position.

12. Have you applied for or been given any other staff positions in this community?: Yes I am currently an Event Master (some may know my EM character as Commander Skipper).

Scenarios:

1. A group of 4 users from another community come onto the forums and start antagonizing the community specifically targeting people in the IRL section of our forums with hate speech, how do you deal with this group, Explain in thorough detail? First I would copy and delete all of the hate speech comments, I would then give the users in question a verbal warning along the lines of "Hate speech of any kind is not torrable in this community. Visit http://www.gatewaygaming.net.au/forum/index.php?threads/forums-rules-and-guidelines-read-this.3518/ for reference."
    If they continue with their hate speech I will give them a recorded warning, stating that it is their last chance.
    If they still keep harassing user I will ban them from the forums.
    If possible, I will try to figure out the community that they come from and alert the community in question of its members toxic behavior.

2. An ex staff member has re-joined the community recently, they become active on the forums but start behaving in a somewhat undesirable manner (pick on people in the shout box etc.) How do you deal with the long-time community member? First would be to find out what they are saying and how bad it actually is. If it is a meme with old players I will let it be, however, if the ex member is personally harrassing others I will tell him to simply stop and delete the comments if they are too toxic to be left up. If he continues, I will grant him a verbal warning stating "Old or new, toxicity and harassment is not welcome on our fourms."

3. A young creator has posted one of his YouTube videos of the clone wars server in his regiments IC area, Is this the proper area for the thread? If not where should it be moved to? Very dependent on the video in question. If the supposed YouTube video has to do with the server and RP to an extent, it shall be left untouched. If the video has nothing to do with RP, I will move it to the correct section (video sharing) and simply let him know that he placed it in the wrong section. If it was an accident, there's no harm.
    If it is someone who is not in the community and is simply plugging his YouTube channel and/or spamming in the wrong sections, I will delete the post (if he spams) and give him a recorded warning stating "Spamming is not allowed on the forums, please resort to another source to promote your channel"

4. A new or unknown user joins our forums, there is no proof that this user plays on the server or uses our team speak. He starts posting regularly in sections of the forums but acts odd in certain sections of the forums it starts to concern other users however this "user" is not breaking any rules directly but members of the community have reported more then once. How do you react to this situation, be creative. I will first start by reviewing over the "users" posts and talking to the people who reported the user to figure out what the underlining issue is. I would speak to the user and ask them if they do play the server and what his name is on the server and teamspeak. If the user in question has not done anything wrong, I will let the players know whom reported him, that he hasn't broken any form of rules and should not be falsely reported (if that were the case).
    If the user was not breaking the rules, but instead irritating some users for various reasons, I will speak to both users depending on how bad the situation is. It could be a little thing like his use of grammar, colours or simply emotive language.

5. The user from the last scenario messages you directly asking for you to connect to his team speak to speak to him/her regarding your actions/judgement or lack of action. I would accept his offer and connect to his team speak or speak to the user wherever is required to speak about the aforementioned situation. I would analysis his point of view as well as state what others think and my overall opinion. There will be no hostility in our exchange and it the situation will ultimately be defused.
    Thank you for reading my application.

#1 Otis, Jan 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  2. Ren

Ren Admin
    Admin Donator

very good sir, would of been cool in the actual application however. Moving on I believe that you could be a good addition to the forum team and I wish you the best of luck +1

#2 Ren, Jan 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    • Dumb Dumb x 2
  3. Yoho

Yoho New Member

He has proven him self as an Event Master on the server and is a regular user of the forums and knows what’s going on, I think he would be a fine edition to the forum staff. I’ll hit the plus one

+1

4. Otis

Otis Forum Staff
    Forum Moderator Event Master Donator

BUMP
    I'd like a few more responses on the application, please.

• PJ Salty PJ Salty x 1
  5. Shenpai

Shenpai Forum Manager
    Forum Manager Teamspeak Manager Donator

Its good to see you want feedback and I would encourage anyone that disagrees with Otis and him becoming forum staff to step up and say something.

My opinion is that Otis is a good bloke who uses the forums regularly and that's really honestly the 2 biggest requirements.

I'll make my final choice by the 18th.

Again if anyone has any issues with Otis please don't be afraid to bring them forward.

6. Shenpai

Shenpai Forum Manager
    Forum Manager Teamspeak Manager Donator

Accepted

Poke me on TS so I can explain all the forum powers

• Rainbow Heart! Rainbow Heart! x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.