Discord Channels Removed?

Discussion in 'Issues and Suggestions' started by Tom, Apr 10, 2019.

?

Discord and TS, or only TS?

1. Discord and TS

18 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. TS Only

6 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. Tom

Tom Active Member
    Donator

Gaetwae [email protected]
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +696 / 63 / -2
    So uh, I just hopped on 2 days ago to see how things were going, to have a little bit of a browse around and found out that COs have been forced to remove discord channels and need to use TS instead...

This imo is very retarded. I tried this while I was Cody with 7th and it's very fucking annoying having to help every single person install ts (Don't forget the new players who normally join 501st/7th first) and then convince them to stay on the ts. I hit around 10 people max on the ts in 7th and still, people slowly went back to using discord anyways.

I think the way this is being done, the 'force them to use it' method is even worse because if people are gonna be forced to use shit they don't wanna use, it won't turn out well.

Also, why can't regiments have control over how the regiment will communicate. If people wanna use discord let them. Idk why is matters so much, if you need to contact someone do it via steam or private discord messages if they aren't on ts.

I get some people like teamspeak, but discord has a much newer and smoother design in comparison. TS is old and shit, move on.

But yea, idfk why this was implemented in the first place because it is very stupid and I want to see this reverted.

I'll leave a poll to if people wanna put their vote in.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Thiccen Little

Thiccen Little Well-Known Member
    Donator

Sparky
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +242 / 92 / -64
    was going to write heaps here but i'll keep it brief,

-There is no "rule" that your regiment must use teamspeak, there have been countless regiments that have and still continue to use discord as their primary regimental communications.
    -Teamspeak has been so ingrained in the server now It will be hard to move over to discord without a lot of further implementation of custom plugins (which can get pricey) and various different bots so staff swamped over every little thing.
    -Personally I prefer discord over teamspeak, it will save the server money and as you said it does have a sleeker and much easier to use design, allowing people who don't even have it installed to use it through their browser.

Overall, at the time I don't see the server making any major switch to discord as it's mainly used for shit posting and memes, but maybe in the future It can show some promise and take over Teamspeak as the primary form of communication within the server (excluding the forums and in-game comminications)

Cheers

*Edit* Maybe @Stooge can elaborate further ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Tom

Tom Active Member
    Donator

Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +696 / 63 / -2
    Thanks for the feedback.

Lately s8n has gotten every regiment to delete every single voice channel in each regiment discord to use ts instead.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Thiccen Little

Thiccen Little Well-Known Member
    Donator

Sparky
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +242 / 92 / -64
    #4 Thiccen Little, Apr 10, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
    Seems like a s8n thing to do.
    If you're opposed to using teamspeak, just do what past regiments have done and create your own discord as a means of communication for just your regiment. That way you'll be able to actively talk to them without having to track them down on steam, create announcements for training's etc, but just be sure to leave your teamspeak connected so if someone needs to contact you they can poke you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Ajax

Ajax Admin
    Admin

Ratings:
    +248 / 42 / -10
    We do encourage that you use teamspeak as a method of voice communication and discord as a method of text-based communication, teamspeak is the main avenue for staff to communicate and we appreciate it when we can locate people with ease. When everyone has their own separate discords the difficultly involved in talking to someone over voice or locating someone skyrockets, we've tried the unified discord where everyone gets a channel a few times but that tends to flop rather in a rather spectacular fashion in wake of people segregating themselves in different discords, that tend to change with Commanders and to be honest, the amount of discords is rising and it's quite annoying. We don't discourage people from using Discord, we want the voice chat to be in teamspeak. It seems like a fairly draconian decision but in reality, installing teamspeak isn't very difficult and not everyone needs to have it, but we definitely want Commanders in ts.

6. s8ncaat

s8ncaat Community Manager
    Community Manager

Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +765 / 232 / -55
    The force them to do it method was literally voted on by most of the CO's, It was also stated that the change wasn't solidified and we can easily revert it. So instead of calling it "retarded" and "shit" get an informed opinion before you write a big speel on the forums, please.

I have no problem with going back to the way it was, but people need to speak up, and I'd prefer it to be people who actually play the server and who frequently used those discord channels.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Tom

Tom Active Member
    Donator

Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +696 / 63 / -2
    I heard that the only 2 options were either force people onto ts, or delete all channels. Doesn't seem very fair.

8. s8ncaat

s8ncaat Community Manager
    Community Manager

Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +765 / 232 / -55
    The second option was intended so that people can still use the discord since we have regimental voice channels there that only people w/ said regiment tags can join.

9. Nexoit

Nexoit Moderator
    Moderator Donator

Ratings:
    +72 / 12 / -2
    HC have had a chat and its been decided that the changes be reverted. It is highly recommended that you use the teamspeak as it does enhance players experience since most active community members use it. However if you choose not to use teamspeak then we ask that you attempt to move over voice communication from private discords over to our GG discord that was created not long ago.

• Winner Winner x 1