Change to /Comms

Discussion in 'Clone Wars Announcements' started by s8ncaat, Nov 1, 2018.

1. s8ncaat

s8ncaat Community Manager
    Community Manager

As many of you may know, the change to /comms has been put in place.

This means that there will be no more *RP* and *Speech*, It'll all be done in either /me or local chat.

The ideology behind the change is fairly simple:

The instant human reaction when something is put into comms is to metagame it, and I don’t care who you are if you see a “*RP Takes our secret document from Commander Thorns MacBook Pro” you’ll end up “accidentally” stumbling upon the person doing something.

Also, why should we have RP in comms? It’s comms. The whole premise of /me is for the purpose everyone uses for comms. Not only is it going to clear up chat a lot and make it for actual comms, but it’s going to actually make your RP realistic, you’ll actually have to be in front of it to see it.

Speech should be kept in the GMOD vicinity range that it already is, and that’s by simply pressing y, and the same goes for RP, if you’re outside that vicinity or can’t hear someone, Is that not realistic?

The other issue was people just abusing it and doing stupid shit with it, like *RP* Yawns etc.

You can create a lot more of RP I’d say by comms each other as well, “Person 1: [NC] Permission to fire sir!!!1”, “Person 2: [NC] Granted” rather than just “RP fires a rocket into the planet”

The point is, comms should stay for comms, rp for /me, and local “speech” for normal chat.

Another aspect I’m going to be implementing is /roll, so this means powergaming etc will be erased, if you do something like “/me attempts to unlock Captain Tarkin’s Holopad” you’d have to roll above a 70 for example.

I know these changes aren’t what you’re used to, but we’re giving it a try for a week or so.

2. PartAlien

PartAlien Member
    Donator

Will their be a new chat for Event Masters and Main Event Storylines?

3. s8ncaat

Community Manager

Potentially, however, not right now.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Richard

Richard Moderator
    Moderator Donator

After trying it out I have been swayed and now enjoy having no RP and Speech so good change there. However I'm not a huge fan of the roll idea for some scenarios, maybe the higher rank (more experience) when it comes to hacking and what not the lower score needed, but I'm willing to try it out since I didn't have faith in the no RP thingy before.

• Like Like x 1
  5. s8ncaat

Community Manager

Just to put it out there, /roll will be for only options that can alter other peoples RP or for a scenario that has a possible failure, so you won't have to /roll signing into medbay etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. NiceGary

NiceGary Senior Event Master
    Senior Event Master Chief Community Representative

I like the idea of /roll as in events everyone is expert at everything so I put up this console, which in theory should take around 5-10 minutes to hack instead they use their megaminds and do it in 2. Although just the fact of doing /roll seems a bit silly but I guess we will get used to it. Only issue is I dont see it being used much mostly people will roll, not get it but then say hey I got it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. PartAlien

PartAlien Member
    Donator

@Bailey Looks good, glad you put in dead regiments :p

8. Shenpai

Shenpai Forum Manager
    Forum Manager Teamspeak Manager Donator

If you could code in the different jobs being better at different tasks that would be amazing but thats possibly a little too complex.

The /roll system seems really cool anyway and I've had several people come up to me saying that they have changed their mind about the removal of /comms *RP* stating that RP is overall more fun.

For some reason, people seem to believe we've removed ALL RP from the server. Its just a matter of looking at what other RP you can do.

#8 Shenpai, Nov 2, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2018
  9. Evoz

Evoz Moderator
    Moderator Donator

/y *RP* will now be the new meta

Gotta let other gamers know what you're doing!

• Winner Winner x 1